As you must be aware, there is an extreme heat wave sweeping though India this summer. I listed a few precautions and tips to follow to avoid heat related illnesses. Please feel free to add your input.
1. Stay hydrated: Drink lots of water, fruit, or vegetable juice. Thirsty or not, please make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day. Stay away from beverages high in sodium and sugar. Beware of extremely cold foods and drinks as they can interfere with the body’s natural cooling mechanism.
Summer Heat. I made this on my iPhone with Sketch Club.
2. Eat right: Mainly, eat light. Eat lots of fruits like melons (water melon, cantaloupe, honeydew), citrus(lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit), cucumber, leafy greens such as spinach, fresh herbs(mint, cilantro etc), fruits (apple, peaches, pineapple), spices (ginger, red chili, cayenne, black pepper)-spices warm you up initially but they eventually help to cool you down.
3. Stay Indoors: Do not go out in the sun, unless you need to. Please schedule your travels early in the morning or late in the evenings, to avoid sunshine as much as possible.
4. Dress for summer: Wear clothes that are lightweight, light colored, loose fitting clothing, preferably made of natural fabrics like cotton. Use hats/caps/umbrellas.
5. Air conditioning: If the house/work place is not equipped with an air conditioner, use fans to circulate inside air. Also, try to cover the windows to avoid direct sunlight by using thick and dark curtains. Avoid extreme temperature changes.
6. Schedule work / travel wisely: Plan in such a way that you avoid any strenuous work/travel in the warmest part of the day.
7. Take care of kids/elders/pets: Check up on kids/elders/pets, to make sure they are dealing the summer heat just fine. Please frequently check on your neighbors, especially if they live alone.
8. Carry water: Carry a bottle of water and share it with those in need. Also, please keep a birdbath for the thirsty birdies.
Stay cool, safe and enjoy the summer.
7 foods to help you beat the heat : http://www.greenlivingonline.com/article/7-foods-help-you-beat-heat
Extreme heat : http://www.ready.gov/heat